About the Coeliac Society
The Coeliac Society is a charitable organisation established in 1970 and provides information, support and awareness to coeliacs throughout Ireland. We are the only advocate voice for the coeliac community, representing our members with bodies such as FSAI, Safefood, RAI, the Departments of Health and of Welfare. It is estimated that currently 1 in 100 Irish people are coeliac. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for coeliacs and those who benefit from a gluten-free diet. Our vision is a healthier life for all coeliacs and those who benefit from a gluten-free diet.
Here are the services the Coeliac Society provide
- Information on coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis,
- Information on gluten-free food
- Support and advice to gluten free producers
- Education of caters, chefs and those in the restaurant industry on best practice regarding coeliac awareness.
- Information on a gluten-free lifestyle
- Opportunities for members to meet and to share experiences
- A campaigning voice for coeliacs to the government, health professionals, the food and hospitality industry and the general public.
Coeliac Disease can affect anyone at any age and there is no cure our website is www.coeliac.ie More and more people are also choosing a gluten free diet as a lifestyle choice. We are here to offer advice and support to people who may not have coeliac disease but are aware of the benefits of living gluten free. To join the Coeliac Society of Ireland http://coeliac.ie/membership/join-us
- Coeliac Handbook packed with medical and practical information.
- Annual Food List /Peer to Peer Support
- Social Media facebook/twitter
- Coeliac Friendly Restaurant List.
- Local Events/Monthly E-zine and the New Members Area
- Coeliac Ireland bi-annual magazine
The Cork Support Group meets approximately 5 times a year in the SMA Centre in Wilton from 8 pm to 10pm. Entry fee is €5 to cover costs. We provide tips, updates, cookery demos, Dietetic talks as well as many other items. It is a great place to meet fellow coeliacs to share ideas, recipes, holidays and a nice restaurant you might have visited.
Dates for next meetings:
Tuesday, 8th of November 2016
Tuesday, 7th of March, 2017
Tuesday 9th of May, 2017
Chairperson Cork Support Group